Who we are
ESMT Berlin was founded by 25 leading global companies and institutions. The international business school offers a full-time MBA, an executive MBA, a part-time blended MBA, an executive MBA/MPA, a master’s in management, as well as open programs for individuals and customized executive education programs.
From the heart of Europe, we create and impart new knowledge to advance business and society. We develop entrepreneurial leaders who think globally and act responsibly.
ESMT has prioritized three areas: leadership, innovation, and analytics. These pillars underpin the academic and organizational development of the school and guide its programming and research.
Inclusion and diversity
With the Inclusive Leadership Roundtable (ILRT) students, faculty, and staff prioritize the values and practices of diversity and inclusion within the school and champion these in academia and the business community. ESMT Berlin has signed the “Charta der Vielfalt” (Diversity Charter).
Facts and figures
- ESMT Berlin was founded in 2002 by 25 leading German corporations and institutions.
- ESMT is a state-accredited, private business school.
- The main campus of ESMT is located in Berlin on Schlossplatz, next to the Berlin City Palace.
- The historic main campus building of ESMT formerly housed the state council building of the East German government.
- ESMT has a satellite campus in Berlin-Schöneberg and a branch office in Shanghai.
- ESMT has an endowment of €125.9 million. (December 2018)
- ESMT's gross sum of revenues and gains before expenses were €32.8 million in 2018.
- Prof. Jörg Rocholl, Ph.D., is the president of ESMT. The Supervisory Board of ESMT first appointed Prof. Rocholl as president in 2011.
- Georg Garlichs is the chief financial officer of ESMT and has held the position since 2014.
- ESMT offers a full-time MBA, an executive MBA, and a master's in management program, as well as open enrollment and customized executive education programs.
- ESMT has 37 faculty members from 17 countries.
- The current student body of ESMT represents 66 countries.
- The master’s in management degree (MIM) at ESMT is a two-year program. There are 204 students enrolled in the MIM degree program at ESMT.
- The master’s in business administration degree (MBA) at ESMT is a one-year program. 49 students are enrolled in the MBA degree program at ESMT.
- The executive master’s in business administration degree (EMBA) at ESMT is an eighteen-month program. 105 students are enrolled in the MBA degree program at ESMT.
- Around 3,500 executives and managers participate in the ESMT Executive Development Programs each year.
- ESMT has more than 8,000 alumni in chapters located worldwide.
- ESMT is an NGO with an equivalency determination (ED) certification with NGOsource.
ESMT is one of only three business schools in Germany to hold the accreditation “Triple Crown.” ESMT is accredited by AACSB, AMBA, and EQUIS. The “Triple Crown” is the highest distinction of quality for business schools worldwide.
ESMT has been accredited by FIBAA, the Foundation for International Business Accreditation Administration, since 2006.
The German Council of Science and Humanities (Wissenschaftsrat) renewed its accreditation of ESMT Berlin to grant PhDs in October 2018. ESMT was first awarded this right in 2013.
- ESMT Berlin placed #1 in Germany and 9th in Europe in the Financial Times European Business School Ranking 2019. - Berlin, December 9, 2019
- ESMT Berlin placed 15th in the Bloomberg Businessweek European Business School Ranking 2019. - Berlin, December 12, 2019.
- ESMT Berlin placed 12th globally in the 2019 Financial Times Executive Education combined ranking of open enrollment and customized programs. ESMT has been the highest-ranked business school in Germany since entering the rankings in 2010.
- ESMT open enrollment programs ranked 8th, while customized programs placed 18th. The international business school did especially well in relation to its competitors in the areas of preparation, course design, and aims achieved. ESMT campus facilities were also found to be superior. - Berlin, June 3, 2019
- ESMT Berlin is ranked 38th in the Financial Times Executive MBA ranking. - Berlin, November 18, 2019
- In the Financial Times’ ranking of the top 100 global Executive MBA programs, the program is ranked 38th. For the eighth consecutive year, the ESMT Berlin EMBA is ranked first in Germany for career progress, which compares the career advancement of program graduates.
- ESMT Berlin is ranked 10th among non-US business schools and 17th globally in the Best Business Schools 2019 ranking by Forbes. - Berlin, September 18, 2019.
- ESMT Berlin is ranked 65th globally and 17th in Europe, in this year’s The Economist "Which MBA?" ranking of the global 100 full-time MBA programs. - Berlin, October 31, 2019.
- ESMT Berlin is ranked 15th of all international programs in the Bloomberg Businessweek European Business School ranking of international (non-US) full-time MBA programs 2019. - Berlin, December 10, 2019
- ESMT Berlin is ranked 81st in the Financial Times MBA ranking 2020. - Berlin, January 27, 2020.
- ESMT Berlin is ranked 16th in the Times Higher Education/Wall Street Journal one-year MBA program ranking 2018. - Berlin, December 6, 2018.
Master's in Management
- ESMT Berlin is the second highest new entrant in the 2019 Financial Times global ranking, placing 35th in the world. - Berlin, October 28, 2019.
- ESMT Berlin is ranked 18th in the first The Economist "Which MBA?" global ranking of the top 40 Masters in Management (MIM) programs. - Berlin, June 28, 2019.
Twenty-five corporations and institutions established the endowed ESMT Foundation, which consequently founded ESMT European School of Management and Technology GmbH. The executive committee of the ESMT Foundation legally represents and leads the foundation and is controlled by the board of trustees. Both are advised by the international advisory council.
The majority shareholder of the school is the ESMT Foundation and the minority shareholder is the Gesellschaft der Freunde und Förderer der ESMT e. V. (Friends of ESMT).
ESMT Berlin has two spheres of governance: corporate and academic. The corporate governance of ESMT regulates all strategic and operative issues. The president and CFO of ESMT are its legal stewards. They are controlled by ESMT supervisory board and advised by the senior leadership team of ESMT. The senior leadership team comprises the members of the Executive Management Committee (EMC) and the External Relations Committee (ERC).
The academic governance of ESMT covers all matters of faculty policy, research, and education. There are two main bodies: The academic board is an independent advisory body for academic matters. The academic committee supervises and advises the president in fundamental issues of research, academic instruction, and the further development of the study program. The president is in charge of ESMT and represents the school in both spheres of its governance.
Berlin, Berlin, Germany