Hong Kong Shue Yan University, with the top QS Asia, ranking among all private universities in Hong Kong, has been founded for over 50 years on Confucian values. It is committed to excellence in teaching and research, aiming to reinvent liberal arts education for the Digital Era. This is done in order to equip graduates with competitive knowledge and skills for their future careers.
A Brief History of HKSYU
In 1971, Dr. Henry H.L. Hu and Dr. Chung Chi Yung founded Shue Yan on Sing Woo Road, Happy Valley, in response to the acute shortage of tertiary places for local secondary school leavers aspiring for university education. In 1976, Shue Yan College was registered under the Post-secondary Colleges Ordinance (Cap. 320). On 19 December 2006, Shue Yan College became the first private university in Hong Kong after it was renamed Hong Kong Shue Yan University (HKSYU) by order of the Chief Executive in Council.
As enshrined in its motto, “Cultivating virtues of benevolence; broadening horizon and knowledge” (敦仁博物), HKSYU pursues education that promotes benevolence. In seeking to nurture learned and capable students, it is equally committed to cultivating the young into persons of honor.
As Hong Kong’s first private university, founded on Confucian values, imbued with a spirit of service to the community, committed to excellence in teaching and research and dedicated to preparing our graduates for their future careers through a personalised, transformative campus learning experience, HKSYU seeks to differentiate itself from other providers on the basis of the quality of the experience and the relevance of the outcomes that we provide for our students, by reinventing liberal arts education for the Digital Era.
- Respect: We treat all people with dignity and respect
- Stewardship: We honour our Confucian heritage by promoting traditional Chinese values
- Ethics: We strive to meet the highest ethical standards
- Excellence: We challenge each other to strive for excellence and to continually learn
- Innovation: We embrace continuous improvement, creativity and change
- Knowledge Creation and Transfer: We research and bring to light new knowledge and ideas and apply them for the betterment of society
- Service: We deliver the highest quality programmes and services that meet the needs of our students, graduates and the community
- Openness: We seek local, regional and international engagement to ensure our continued relevance in a globalized world.
- Financial Sustainability: We continue to exercise financial prudence in all aspects of our operation in support of our long-term commitment to the provision of educational opportunities in Hong Kong
- To meet the actual needs of Hong Kong society by training efficient and well-balanced young people for various services in the community;
- To promote the spirit of humanity and the freedom of learning with a scientific approach and also to contribute to the development of higher education in Hong Kong; and
- To demonstrate by consistent behavior the virtues of humanity and the objective attitude of men of culture.
- Preserve and disseminate traditional Chinese culture;
- Enable students to cultivate a whole, balanced personality including moral character and to realize their full potential as individuals, as scholars and as good citizens;
- Provide rigorous intellectual training to enable students to become independent critical thinkers; and
- Deliver programmes that combine academic theory with the acquisition of professional and practical skills to produce graduates who can immediately be of service to meet the needs of the community; and
- Conduct research in the Humanities and Social Sciences for the advancement of knowledge and the betterment of society.