The International Foundation Course (Art & Design) is a one-year full-time programme that aims to develop language and academic skills to a level appropriate for successful progression to an intended undergraduate degree course. The programme provides students on successful completion guaranteed opportunity to join Year 1 (Level 4) of any of the undergraduate three-year honours degree courses within Cardiff School of Art & Design.
The International Foundation Course (Art & Design) is intended for students who fall into one or both of the following categories:
- Students who have not achieved the required A-level or equivalent points score.
- Students who have not achieved the required level in English proficiency.
The programme will also help International students to develop their creative practice and to become familiar with the art and design teaching methods employed in UK Universities.
There are five compulsory modules:
English Language modules:
- English Language Proficiency (20 credits)
- English for Academic Purposes (20 credits)
- Professional Development (20 credits)
Art and Design modules:
- Practical Art and Design (30 credits)
- Art and Design Presentation (30 credits)
Learning & Teaching
We utilise a range of teaching environments to support your learning needs. These include studios and workshops (for Art & Design), classrooms and IT suites. Delivery is in the form of classroom taught sessions and use of the virtual learning environment (VLE) – Moodle. A strong emphasis is placed on pair and group work and this extends to some of the assessments on the course.
Regular tutorials are available to support your learning process and international students also have the support of the International Office.
Employability & Careers
The programme provides a guaranteed opportunity to join year one (Level 4) of any of the undergraduate three-year honours degree programmes within the Cardiff School of Art & Design upon successful completion:
- Animation - BA (Hons)
- Architectural Design & Technology - BSc (Hons)
- Artist Designer: Maker - BA (Hons)
- Ceramics - BA (Hons
- Fashion Design – BA (Hons)
- Fine Art - BA (Hons)
- Graphic Communication - BA (Hons)
- Illustration - BA (Hons)
- Interior Design - BA (Hons)
- Product Design - BA/BSc (Hons)
- Textiles - BA (Hons)
Entry Requirements & How to Apply
In order to apply for this course, students should have:
- Completed their high school education
- Have a relevant finishing certificate
- Have achieved IELTS 4.5 or equivalent – note that under current UKVI regulations, a minimum of 4.0 in each component is required.
Program taught in: