Course: General English
I would like to welcome you to The Language Academy. Our comfortable school is located in a modern building in Down-Town Fort Lauderdale, only a short distance from the beaches, banks, museums, and cafés. And most importantly, we have wonderful teachers & classroom spaces to help you acquire and learn the English language in dynamic settings. Furthermore, our curriculum incorporates many actual aspects offered by our surroundings to create opportunities for "contextual learning".
Our state-of-the-art Media Lab includes TV/VCRs, language-learning software and CD-Rom facilities for individual and class use. Thanks to our courses, the self-access Media Center and our lively social program of activities and excursions, we are sure you will make the most of your stay in Fort-Lauderdale and learn English better and faster.
Your First Day
When you arrive at the Language Academy, a member of our staff will meet you and check your registration. Next you will be asked to take a placement test composed of a written and listening test. Then you will have an interview with the Director of Studies or a Senior Teacher. During this conversation your understanding of spoken English will be assessed. Level placement is based on the combined results of these two tests. During the first day, our staff will introduce you to the school, the local amenities and life in Fort Lauderdale.
There is a special program of study for each level and our grading system enables you to change to the next level when you are ready. There are eight levels of study:
- Intermediate (2 levels)
- Upper Intermediate
Our classes are small and carefully graded. The maximum number of students in an Executive Course is 5 and there is a maximum of 14 students in a General English class. This rule applies to all daily courses. All courses are multinational and English is always the means of communication with the teachers and with other students.
Cost & Fees
GENERAL ENGLISH 1: 20 Lessons - 17 clock hours; 480/price first 2 weeks, 210/price for each additional week
GENERAL ENGLISH 2: 22 Lessons - 19 clock hours; 550/price first 2 weeks, 250/price for each additional week
GENERAL INTENSIVE: 30 Lessons - 27 clock hours; 750/price first 2 weeks, 350/price for each additional week
GENERAL PLATINUM: 20 Lessons (mini-group of 5) - 17 clock hours; 1,200/price first 2 weeks, 600/price for each additional week
GE + PRIVATE LESSONS: 20 Group Lessons + 5; 1,140/price first 2 weeks, 545/price for each additional week
GE + PRIVATE LESSONS: 20 Group Lessons + 10; 1,790/price first 2 weeks, 870/price for each additional week
HIGH SCHOOL PLACEMENT: High School Placement Fee; Placement fee only: $ 600
- A U.S. $ 125.00 non-refundable registration fee is required upon enrollment. All prices are in US$
- General English classes meet from 9:00 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. OR from 13:30 p.m. to 17:10 p.m. Timetable may vary without notice. Each lesson is 50 minutes
- All group programs have a maximum of 14 students in a class. If Monday is a holiday, classes will start on the next work business day.
- Absolute beginners are required to attend private classes, at TLA sole discretion, until they can reach the A1 Elementary level.
- HOLIDAYS: in 2014 the school will be closed on: January 1, April 18, May 26, July 4, September 1, November 27 and 28, December 25, 26 and December 31 (afternoon).
- In case of course cancellation after the student's arrival, TLA reserves the right to replace General English group classes with private tutoring at a 5:1 ratio.