General Chinese (Mandarin)
- A clear focus on Chinese Mandarin;
- Carefully designed immersion activities and excursions;
- Teaching delivered by qualified faculty at school;
- Discussions with the participation of Chinese students and faculty.
The School of Chinese as a Second Language (SCSL), Sun Yat-sen University is one of the first institute to teach Chinese as a Second Language. Since the 1980s, more than 10,000 students from 100 countries and regions have studied in SCSL. It is also an official center for the Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK). Every year it receives about 1,000 international students to study the Chinese language.
SCSL runs multi-level Chinese language programs, including non-degree courses in Chinese language, undergraduate courses for international students, graduate (MA and Ph.D.) courses in TCFL/TCSOL, and training courses for overseas Chinese teachers.
At SCSL, 70% of teachers have overseas teaching experience and 90% of those hold graduate-level degrees. To date, SCSL achieves a high pass rate of HSK, a testament to the quality of higher education at Sun Yat-sen University.
The courses last from one semester to three years. Students are placed into classes of different levels according to their proficiency in Chinese upon enrollment. There are five work days, normally speaking, 20 class hours in a week. You will have to attend the classes, Monday through Friday except for the public holidays.
The classes are divided into three levels: elementary, intermediary, and advanced ones.
- Elementary class concentrates on teaching students basic Chinese knowledge and training their language skills.
- Intermediary class focuses on further developing students' reading and writing skills while enhancing their basic Chinese knowledge.
- Advanced class emphases on training students' overall Chinese language skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing) and helping students gain an insight into Chinese culture and society.
Non-degree Chinese Language Training Programs offer the following courses: Speaking Skill, Listening, Reading, Writing, Audio & Video Comprehension, Intensive Reading, Chinese Newspaper Reading and Cantonese.
- High school graduate;
- 18-45 years of age;
This school offers programs in: