Within the School of Art and Design at Somerset College we pursue the intelligent development of visual communication. Students learn the invisible language of form, composition, balance, structure, rhythm and hierarchy coupled with the very visible language of communication.
The aim of the course is to help you develop the creative skills needed to achieve success in your future career. With this in mind, the course explores how ideas are communicated through language, images and messages.
It equips you with the understanding and skills to operate effectively within the fast-moving and stimulating design sector.
By studying on this course, you will develop and establish:
- A broad range of skills across the disciplines of graphic media and communication with disciplines which include graphic design, screen based design, moving image and sound, Illustration and photography.
- A professional understanding of the strength and usage of visual communication.
- A detailed understanding of industry-standard equipment and software.
- An understanding of how to evaluate a client’s needs and respond successfully to them.
- Experience of working as part of a professional team, gained through group projects and work placements, and through entering national and international design competitions.
- Your own visual signature, enabling you to generate and express your personal ideas and beliefs.
Teaching and Assessment
Teaching takes place within the School of Art and Design utilising a range of purpose-built media and design studios. Assessment is based on 100% coursework and we undertake continuous modular assessment. Studio-based assignments are augmented by lectures, seminars and workshops throughout the year.
After successfully competing the FdA you can progress on to the BA (Hons) Graphic Media and Communication top-up year at Somerset College.
Graduates for any of the media programmes work across a broad range of disciplines, including web design, motion graphics, packaging, advertising, information design, character design, editorial design, photography and illustration.
Thanks to their grounding in a broad range of disciplines, all of our Graphic Media courses are the ideal foundation for a successful career as a designer, and also provide a good basis from which to pursue postgraduate study.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 3, 2018