Welcome to ESL Programs
Welcome to the ESL Programs at Fairmont State University. Our goal is to help you achieve higher English language proficiency, to prepare you for study in regular programs, and to assist you in assimilating into life in the United States as an international student.
Why choose the ESL Program at Fairmont State University?
- A varied curriculum integrating all language skills and emphasizing conversation
- A safe and convenient location for study
- Program flexibly with “drop-in” students welcome at any time
- Professional and friendly instructors and staff
- Small classes, insuring plenty of individual attention
- Airport pickup
- On campus housing close to all campus facilities
Our regular ESL program follows the same academic schedule as other programs.
- Spring 2016: January 19, 2016 - May 13, 2016
- Summer 2016: May 23, 2016 - July 28, 2016
- Fall 2016: August 15, 2016 - December 9, 2016
Although these are the official starting dates, we accept students into the ESL program at any time during the semester and the length of the program can accommodate the student.
Students are offered and encouraged to participate in events, programs and organizations across campus. A few of those are as follows.
- Conversation Partner Program
- International Friends Program
- Student organizations
- Student honoraries and publications
- Student Intramural Sport Clubs
- Student Government
- Tutoring Services
- Travel (extra fee)
- Off-campus activities (possible extra fee)
The ESL Program offers 18-20 hours of instruction per week. Classes include the following with electives added that cater to the student needs.
- Grammar Studies
- TOEFL Strategies
- Academic Reading
- American Culture
Your Fairmont State Home
Consider us because we know living on campus is your home, not just your home away from home.
The Fairmont State Office of Residence Life oversees:
- the residence hall application process
- 4 residence halls
- College Park Apartments
- tutoring sessions for residents
- holiday and seasonal events for our residents
- special events open to the public
- a resident assistant lives on each wing of each Office of Residence Life building at Fairmont State University
- residence life Twitter and Facebook keeps our students up to date
Things to Know Before Applying:
- 2 year residency is required for all freshmen and sophomore students.
- Online application must be completed as soon as Fairmont State University admission has been confirmed.
- Your application is not complete without a signed lease agreement and the payment of a damage deposit.
Program taught in: