- Course Code: IT102
- Duration: 2 weeks
- Fee: £4045
Business Processes, Information Systems, and Information
- The need to understand business processes
- Business process modeling
- Using IS to improve process quality
- What is information?
- Data characteristics required for quality information
Hardware and Software
- Computer hardware
- Operating systems software
- Applications software
- Open source software as a viable alternative
- The purpose of a database
- What is a database management system (DBMS)?
- Database applications to make databases more useful
- What is a NoSQL DBMS?
- Why is the cloud the future for most organizations?
- Using the cloud
- Cloud service models
- Using cloud services securely
Organisations and Information Systems
- How do IS vary by scope?
- Solving departmental silos through enterprise systems
- Customer relationship management (CRM), enterprise resource planning (ERP), and enterprise application integration (EAI)
- Inter-enterprise IS
Social Media Information Systems
- What is a social media information system (SMIS)?
- SMIS to advance organizational strategy
- Increasing social capital
- Managing the risks of social media
- Where is social media taking us?
Business Intelligence Systems
- How do organizations use business intelligence (BI) systems?
- The three primary activities in the BI process
- Using data warehouses and data marts to acquire data
- Three techniques for processing BI data
- The alternatives for publishing BI
Information Systems Development
- What is systems development?
- The five phases of the systems development lifecycle (SDLC)
- Accomplishing system definition
- The users’ role in the requirement phase
- Designing the five components
- Implementing an IS
- The tasks for system maintenance
- Problems with the SDLC
Information Systems Management
- Functions and organization of the IS department
- How do organizations plan the use of IS?
- Advantages and disadvantages of outsourcing
- User rights and responsibilities
Information Security Management
- The goal of IS security
- How big is the computer security problem?
- Responding to security threats
- Technical safeguards
- Data safeguards
- Human safeguards
- Responding to security incidents
This management information systems course is suitable for:
- Those who wish to assess, evaluate, and apply emerging information systems (IS) technology to business.
- Those who wish to take an active role in systems development to create an IS that meets their needs.
- Those who need to learn how to employ IS to accomplish their job tasks.
- Those who want to use IS to achieve their business strategies.
Upon completion of this management information system course, you will be able to:
- Appreciate the uses of business processes, information systems, and information in organizations.
- Demonstrate an understanding of hardware and software and their place in management information systems.
- Recognise the key features and technologies deployed in database management and processing.
- Explain what the cloud is and be able to identify the potential opportunities and threats that cloud computing offers to organizations.
- Recognise the primary benefits of information systems in organizations including the application of customer relationship management (CRM), enterprise resource planning (ERP), and enterprise application integration (EAI).
- Evaluate the potential benefits of social media information systems to organizations.
- Appreciate the uses of business intelligence systems.
- Differentiate the key elements of information systems development and understand the role system developments plays in MIS.
- Illustrate the functions and deployments techniques of information systems in organizations and how these systems are managed.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the crucial role information security management plays within organizations and its role most MIS activities.
Program taught in:
See 131 more programs offered by London Business Training & Consulting »
Last updated September 22, 2018
This course is
May 13, 2019
Sept. 9, 2019
May 13, 2019
Sept. 9, 2019