Objective of program
To develop the following competencies necessary to practice the employment:
- research and exchange of information
- produce tables and graphs
- design the visual format of a document related to accounting
- handle requests regarding labour laws
- organize and process data related to a company’s resources
- insure efficiency of work.
Develop the following competencies necessary to communicate, verbally or in writing, in the work place:
- write correspondence related to accounting in both English and French
- interact in various professional situations
- communicate in English in an Accounting context.
To develop the skills necessary to complete accounting tasks:
- to interact in various professional situations
- to calculate and prepare the bills, invoices, receipts, payments, etc. of a business
- to manage the petty cash
- to produce the payroll
- to calculate prices
- to accurately complete and verify work for daily accounting tasks
- to complete end of fiscal period and end of year tasks
- to produce income tax forms.
Career opportunities :
- Accounting Clerk
- Accounting Assistant
- Accounting Technician
- Payroll Clerk
- Clerks Purchasing and Inventory
You’re in the right field of work if you:
- Are highly organized and enjoy responsibilities
- Possess an aptitude for communication
- Work well under pressure
- Are detail-oriented and rigorous
- Demonstrate good judgment and a strong ethical sense
- Small, medium and large companies
- Public or private businesses
- Self-employed workers
The advantages of studying in Collège Supérieur de Montréal
This course gives you access to:
- A short 1-year training program
- Program recognized by the le Ministère de l’Éducation, de l’Enseignement Supérieur et de la Recherche (MESRS)
- Scholarships offered by our partners
- A practical internship at a company
- A laptop when you graduate!
When you choose the C.S.M., you also choose:
- Lifetime job placement assistance
- Conveniently located facilities (Berri-UQAM subway station)
- A simulation class to develop your confidence and skills
- High-quality education
- More than 45 years of experience
Description of modules
Determine their suitability for the occupation and the training process
This course offers a realistic vision of the accountant trade. It presents the various tasks in accounting and provides information on the program as a whole.
Research and exchange information
- Using a computer and its resources/components: format, manage files and folders.
- Using Internet, learn to efficiently navigate, extract, find and manage information and references.
- Learn how to receive and transmit information by fax and corporate email.
Produce tables and charts
- Using Excel, plan and organise data and worksheets.
- Learn how to present, save and print data using tables and charts.
- Do calculations and prepare source documents
- Calculate and prepare purchases and sales documents.
- Learn how to calculate discounts, international payments and prepare the related documents.
- Calculate various types of interests and prepare amortization charts.
Format accounting-related correspondence
- Using a word processor, learn how to seize and arrange various information on a note or a letter, ready for presentation or printing.
- Import tables and worksheets from Excel.
- Prepare the envelop.
- Learn and master the standard typing method.
Write accounting-related correspondence in English
- Learn how to write a note and a letter.
- Review, audit and print various texts.
Process source documents in different types of companies
- Transcript data in log books, carry out financial reports, validate and write balances.
- Verify and correct entries then classify and file all accounting documents.
- Transfer funds, balance cash registers, manage the petty cash, do the bank reconciliation, prepare budget and ensure cash in hand follow up.
Use information related to legislation affecting businesses
- From simple but real life situations, find answers and solutions using ethics and legislative laws.
- Produce the required documents and ensure the follow up.
Interact in a variety of professional situations
- Learn how to communicate efficiently.
- Understand the importance of quality professional interactions in a work environment.
- Apply good work ethics.
- Be aware of your abilities and limitations when interacting.
Communicate in French in an accounting context
- Know how to get all the required information in an accounting point of view.
- Use the appropriate and polite wording.
- Know how to make clear interpretations.
Prepare the payroll
- Gather the rightful information.
- Calculate salaries and contributions.
- Produce paye.
- Verify and correct your work.
Write and format accounting-related correspondence in French
- Write and format accounting-related correspondence in French from verbal and written instructions using a word processor.
- Know how to use a grammatical software and dictionaries.
Organize and process data related to a company’s resources
- Using reference standards, create and structure data bases.
- Gather and manage data. Make data base requests and produce reports.
Carry out daily tasks related to transactions involving receivables and payables
- Carry out daily accounting tasks.
Ensure that they work efficiently
- Analyse tasks characteristics and execute all accounting tasks adequately.
- Ensure follow up.
- Use all available resources to improve work efficiency.
Perform calculations needed to determine the cost of goods and services
- Calculate the cost of sold merchandise, a project or a work request.
- Validate and file reports.
Perform end-of-period tasks
- Do all accounting entries.
- Follow up on budget, account collections, taxes remittances and pay deductions.
- Account for all inventory transactions.
- Produce and validate reports.
Perform year-end tasks
- From the chart of accounts, various documents and accounting logs, given instructions, data bases and various software, perform year-end tasks.
Produce an income tax return for an individual
- Gather all required documents and information to produce an income tax return for an individual.
Implement an accounting system
- Implement and maintain an accounting system from given employer’s directive, customer and employees data base and inventory using an accounting software.
Commit themselves to the development of their career
- Recognize your own abilities and strength to positively develop your career.
- Apply a strategy when job seeking.
Conditions of admission
To be eligible for admission to this program, candidates must meet one of the following requirements:
- Persons holding a Secondary School Diploma or its recognized equivalent
- Persons who are at least 16 years of age on September 30 of the school year in which their training is to begin and have earned the Secondary IV credits in language of instruction, second language and mathematics in the programs of study established by the Minister, or have been granted recognition for equivalent learning
- Persons who are at least 18 years of age upon entry into the program and have the following functional prerequisites: the successful completion of the General Development Test (see the following table), or recognition of equivalent learning
- Persons who have obtained Secondary III credits in language of instruction, second language and mathematics in programs established by the Minister are required to pursue general education courses, concurrently with their vocational training, in order to obtain the Secondary IV credits they lack in language of instruction, second language and mathematics in programs established by the Minister.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 24, 2018